Frequently Asked Questions

What is Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome (NAS)?

NAS describes a group of conditions faced by newborn babies born exposed to an addictive substance like medication, opioids or other legal and illegal substances. Prenatal exposure can cause babies to experience withdrawal upon birth, and symptoms of NAS include: sleep problems, irritability, tremors, trembling, seizures, high-pitched crying, diarrhea, vomiting, low birth weight, stuffy nose, feeding difficulties, dehydration, sneezing, sweating and breathing problems.

Who are the babies you treat?

Our babies are from every socioeconomic status, race, ethnicity, and culture. We treat any babies with prenatal drug exposure from illegal or prescribed substances. Babies do not have to go through medicated withdrawal to be cared for by the team at Brigid’s Path.

We treat babies from throughout the entire state of Ohio.

Why is Brigid’s Path necessary?

Brigid’s Path offers different services than any other place for moms and babies.  We focus on providing a home-like, comfortable environment.  We focus on both medicinal but also nonpharmacological care: small and frequent feedings, low stimulation, constant rocking and cuddling, immediate diaper changes, and meeting every physical need of these babies as quickly as possible.

Rather than just focusing on only the medical needs of our babies, we’re able to provide them care for a longer time than most hospitals; some of our families are here for 90 days. We create a space where our families feel safe and at-ease.


Do you have a 24-hour phone support for families after leaving?
Yes. We do offer 24-hour phone support for families and caregivers after their babies go home.
Is Brigid’s Path a nonprofit organization?

Yes! Brigid’s Path is an official 501(c)3 organization. Our tax-exempt number is 47-1200761.

How long is your neonatal/pediatric treatment program?
Babies stay with us as long as necessary to be healthy and stable. Our average length of stay is 46 days. Babies needing medical treatment stay an average of 10 days, but if mom and baby need more time, they can stay up to 90 days.


How do babies arrive at Brigid’s Path?

Our babies are referred to us from hospitals and children’s service organizations around Ohio. The Dayton Children’s transport team will pick up the baby from the hospital and transport him/her to Brigid’s Path.

Anyone can make a referral to Brigid’s Path.

How are you funded?

Brigid’s Path receives approximately 77 percent of its funding from private individuals, foundations and grants. The remaining 23 percent of our funding comes from contributions and grants from local and state agencies. We cannot do this work without your support.

How can I help support Brigid’s Path?

Our work caring for babies and their mothers is not possible without your support. Gifts of prayers, time and donations all make a difference for our families.

Do you provide treatment for moms?
We do not provide in-patient treatment for mothers facing issues of addiction, but we work with community partners to provide resources for our moms to achieve the stability that will help them care for their children for both the near- and long-term. We encourage mothers to room with, care for, and bond with their babies as much as possible. Learn more about how we help moms.
What is the relationship between Brigid’s Path and local hospitals?

Brigid’s Path works with all the major hospital networks in the Miami Valley and Cincinnati, and we provided care to infants from nine hospitals in our first 18 months of operation. Rather than working with just one hospital network, we’re able to serve a wider variety of families by working with all providers.

As an independent entity, we are able to continue caring for babies and families the best way we know, offering grace for the past, support for the present, and hope for the future. We answer to our own board, have our own staff, work with the hospitals, and comply with all regulatory bodies, but are able to make our own decisions for our families.